EU's CAP and its impact on biodiversity and ecosystem services (open call) back to the forum
Please add any relevant information on existing conceptual papers on the topic in the comment box
As a result of a first literature sreening these existing conceptual papers have been detected. Please add references to further conceptual papers in the comment box.
- Butler, S., et al. (2007). "Farmland biodiversity and the footprint of agriculture." Science 315(5810): 381-384.
- Dicks, L. V., et al. (2014). "A transparent process for “evidence‐informed” policy making." Conservation Letters 7(2): 119-125.
- European Commission (2016) Review of greening after one year. Staff working document plus 5 annexes, available from https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/direct-support/greening_en
- Expert assessment of impacts of EFA options on pollinators, being conducted by a working group within SuperB COST Action, led by Lynn Dicks UEA, Jane Stout Trinity College Dublin, Lorna Cole Scotland Rural . Europe wide assessment, aiming for all countries represented. http://www.superb-project.eu/
- Hennenberg, K. J., et al. ( 2008)."Biodiversity and Land Use."
- Hart, K. (2015). Green direct payments: implementation choices of nine Member States and their environmental implications. Institute for European Environmental Policy, September.
- Lefebvre, M., et al. (2012). The influence of the Common Agricultural Policy on agricultural landscapes. JS a. P. Report, European Commission, Joint Research Center. 7.
- Maitima, J., et al. (2004). "A methodological guide on how to identify trends and linkages between changes in land use, biodiversity and land degradation." UCID Working Paper, no. 43 Nairobi (Kenya): ILRI
- Onate, J. J., et al. (2000). "Agri-environmental schemes and the European agricultural landscapes: the role of indicators as valuing tools for evaluation." Landscape Ecology 15(3): 271-280.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2014). Public Goods and Externalities: Agri-Environmental policy measures in selected OECD countries. OECD Publication
- Petrescu, D. C., et al. (2011). "EU priorities for the future: environmental challenges in the context of Common Agriculture Policy towards 2020." Studia Universitatis Babes Bolyai-Negotia(3): 83-89.
- Phalan, B., et al. (2011). "Reconciling food production and biodiversity conservation: land sharing and land sparing compared." Science 333(6047): 1289-1291.
- Policy, I. f. E. E., J. Poláková, et al. (2011). Addressing biodiversity and habitat preservation through measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy, Institute for European Environmental Policy.
- Söderberg,. T. (2016). Förgröningen i praktiken – kostnader kontra miljönyttor. Swedish Board of Agriculture
- Synopsis and summary of effects of farm management actions on soil health, water, pollination, pest regulation and biodiversity in Mediterranean agricultural ecosystems. Funded by TNC California. Scope – global, but covers all southern European countries. Lead reviewer: Gorm Shackleford, Cambridge. Project lead: Lynn Dicks, UEA.
Date: 17.04.2017 12:17 (GMT)
This comments refers to other ecosystem services provided by greening: erosion control and carbon sequestration.
Cover crops in tree crops are a key element in the greeing of the CAP. For the Mediterranean areas there are several papers indicating that the actual impact of these cover crops on these ecosystems services are related to the ground cover and biomass productivity which in water scarce conditions is quite variable among different farms.
The evaluation of the actual impact of CAP (and ideas for its future improvement) could gain if this variability and environmental limits could be evaluated and studied in more detail than now-
There are already several projects (e.g. within the JPI-Biodversa, http://www.vinedivers.eu/ ) in which this is been evaluated, also in relationship to biodiversity
Some references on the paragraph above
1- On variability of carbon sequestration rtes in tree crops.
2- On the impact of different soil management on olives.
3- An overview of cover crops in tree crops in mediterranean areas.